RE: Re: hi again

Libby - Welcome back!  You've been missed.

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Libby Valentine
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 10:47 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Re: hi again

Hi everybody,

I'm finally back - even have my very own email account now (I know it
doesn't seem like much but I've only had work email prior to this, and a
yahoo account for temporary connection but it doesn't have much space -
hey, for free what more could I ask?).  And my husband decided to go for
the cable modem a few weeks ago which I have to admit is great - the
connection speed is very nice.

Summer has just whizzed by.  How did it get to be October? (let alone
2003...)  We've had an incredible amount of rain all summer, after 9
years of drought, so it's been interesting to see what is thriving with
the moisture and what really prefers it drier.  The lawn never went
dormant at all.  I finished planting half of my new bed (on a slope I
thought was dangerous to mow):  newspaper-and-mulched it and put in some
different kinds of salvias and other plants for the butterflies and
hummingbirds, and also 3 sapphireberries, which came up on this list
probably 3 years ago.  Took me that long to find them.  I will look up
the true names and write again, but I am really excited to be back so I
want to send this now!!  I had an oval bed with a goumi, a russian mt.
ash, and a pussy willow in it, plus various perennials, and I made that
the small side of the trapezoid and connected it to 2 little cleveland
pears (I know, I know, but at least they're not
Bradfords) above and outside the corners of the oval bed, so it's all
one bed now.  I still have about 1/3 to plan and plant, but I am happy
to have accomplished what I did.

Right here the most damage from Isabel was 4 of the 7 large Bradford
pears lining our across-the-street neighbor's driveway came down - 3
snapped, one uprooted - gave the whole neighborhood something to do the
next day, when there was still warm water left in the water heater for
showers after!  Lost several relatively young willows in the
neighborhood, and then there were a number of big trees down on some of
the wooded roads in the area.  All in all, very fortunate.

Question on vines for you all - I planted a hops vine (humulus) and it's
growing very well when the deer don't browse it.  I planted it at the
base of an arch (to which someone here pointed me last year, from Lee
Valley Tools - whoever it was, thanks!), and it has grown up to the top
of the arch nicely, but it also keeps trying to spread, well, wherever
it can, including into midair.  Is there a trick to training vines or is
it simple persistence of bringing back the errant tendrils and wrapping
them on the arbor?  Also, do I cut this back?

My mom gave me a heather collection (6 varieties) from White Flower Farm
this summer.  They are all still very small, but I'm hoping most of them
will survive the winter and then I'll have some input on what will
survive a normal summer here.  If there is such a thing!

Jesse, I am so glad to hear Fizick has rejoined the ranks.  I told my
three about him and they've all been sending good kitty wishes his way.

Thank you all for being out there, this is a wonderful community and I
am glad to be back as a hopefully more active part of it again.

Maryland zone 6