This and That

Chris  Long Island, NY  Zone 7

Good Morning All!

Here we are talking about holiday decorations, and I, like Donna, have
not even accomplished a tenth of what I needed to do this summer!  Here
I am sitting in front of my computer when I MUST get outside and plant
the last of the hostas and perennials that are waiting so patiently for
some real soil!  I did accomplish something this morning.  I spent 45
minutes in the dentist's chair having my teeth cleaned by a new
hygienist.  I felt like I was in the rain forest when I wasn't drowning
from all the water going down the back of my throat!  I'm always glad
when that chore is over!

I rushed to bring in some of my large containers last week when the
temperatures dropped into the thirties.  We didn't have a frost here on
the water, but some areas of Long Island lost their most tender annuals.
I took cuttings from all of the coleus and plectranthus  plants that I
wasn't bringing indoors for the winter, and I brought in the ones that
were already rooted.  All of my available window sills are filled with
colorful vases and foliage! I still need to bring in the geraniums and
dig out some of  my favorite annuals that are in my container gardens.
I hate to see the containers cannibalized, but I can't wait much longer!

The Eupatorium 'Chocolate' (or whatever it's current name is) is
blooming in masse along with the pink Japanese anemones!  Many of the
late blooming salvias look beautiful.  Powdery blue perennial ageratum
is bringing  sky closer to the earth.  Asters of all colors are in their
glory!  Leaves are beginning to change color here. On the way home this
morning I saw the most beautiful crimson coloring on the poison ivy
trees along the roadside!  Maybe I'll take some pictures of the garden
later and post them.

I don't do much holiday decorating, but I usually bring in an assortment
of greens and hang a handmade swag on the door.  We live too far from
the road, 800 feet, to attract trick or treaters (although I always
leave a basket of candy on my entrance porch  just in case). We
celebrate Christmas and Chanukah in our house so I will have a tree and
a menorah.  I usually don't get around to putting up a tree until the
very last minute. Sometimes I use a few  large evergreen branches that
have been pruned  wired into a tree shape.  I prefer the less formal
tree look, so you won't find a perfectly shaped specimen in my house!  I
used to bake cookies and make hand made ornaments, but I can't imagine
how I found time or energy for those things!  Now I shop via the
internet and buy frozen cookie mix!  I used to make my own jam and
pickles too!  I guess I'm just getting too old!  Of course I still
teach, sing in a chorus, work on the executive board of my daylily club,
run fund raisers, write, take care of  my personal zoo, clean, cook,
wash, shop, and sometimes even garden!

Enough procrastinating!  It's near to noon!  Gotta finish my coffee and
get outside!