Re: In your area?

> Where did you see that?

Someone posted it on the FG forum.  Here's the exchange:
It's that time of year again, folks.

Saturday, November 8th 2003.  The Annual Greater DuPage WildOnes Seed
Exchange will be held at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn IL at 1pm.  COD
is west of I355, north of Butterfield Rd (Rt 56) and south of Roosevelt Rd
(Rt 38), off of Lambert Rd.  Go to Building K, the Commons or Gymnasium.

There is NO admission and set up is similar to a Cookie Exchange.  For each
species of seeds you bring, another species can be chosen from the tables.
Tables are set up w/botanical names (labeling your seeds as such is STRONGLY
encouraged) and are grouped into sun/shade, grasses, trees/shrubs,
veggies/herbs and other.  All types of seeds (ummm, except invasives) and
gardeners are welcome.  You do not HAVE to bring seeds to share.  Alot of GD
WildOne members are just starting out so have no seeds to share.  That is
perfectly ok, as seeds are available for 25c a tsp, TBL or cupfull depending
on how they are packaged.  Some people bring in seeds by the trashbag.
Anything in dirt, is a buck.

Strong encouragement is also given to bring before/after photos and snacks.
I personally know someone who religiously brings her Indian Lemonade (made
from Sumac berries...and no it's NOT me) every year.  I've brought Dirt and
Sand Cake and Jerusalem artichokes (eat 'em or plant 'em).  A whole other
group of guinea pigs I can experiment on!!

REPLY:  Well! I'm only 1000 miles away. Is there a seed list? Do colleges
and arboretums contribute?

ANSWER: Sorry, no seed list.  Just whatever happens to be collected.  I've
been very bad at collecting this year.  I usually start ALOT earlier and
have things like Jewelweed (Impatiens pallida/biflora), Wild Petunia
(Ruellia humilis) and other harder to collect and woodland seeds.  This year
I won't have nearly the variety.  Rumor has it that Skunk Cabbage seeds will
be present.  I'm looking forward to that.  I've got to check for my Jacks
and Green Dragons.  Thank heavens, I've got some days off before hand.

Someone also mentioned that there will be seeds from up north.  McHenry
County Conservation District has been great.  Especially, when I came up
there bringing some of the more difficult/uncommon woodland seed I had
collected.  They aren't nearly as fussy as some of the Forest Preserves
around here.  I mean, if the original plants were rescued from DuPage County
about 4-5 yrs ago and have been producing fruit ever since...AND there
really isn't any remnant around me, couldn't the genes still be fine?
McHenry's attitude is get the damn seeds in the ground and restore the area.
Better than Purple Loosetrife or Reed Canary Grass taking over.