Re: I'm back!

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] I'm back!
  • From: Cathy Carpenter cathy.c@insightbb.com
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:47:54 -0500

Am not familiar with the Houston area, but I did read that ordering a
total evacuation and not taking into account the topography was part
of the problem. There were sections of the city that were at little
risk due to location and elevation, but they were told to go along
with those at higher risk. I also read that people concerned about
belongings and pets (most understandably) evacuated in multiple
vehicles, so the congestion on the roads exceeded estimates. When I
lived in Hawai'i, the phone books had tsunami evacuation maps - when
there was a warning, you could tell exactly whether you should head
inland or not. While hurricanes are unpredictable, they are less so
than tornados, so I imagine similar maps could be developed for
hurricanes, based on location, elevation, and proximity to bodies of
water. But politicians overreact because people want guarantees.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b