RE: everybody outside today?

October here is almost always gorgeous and so it was this weekend, it was in
the 80s. Great gardening weather, too bad I didn't do any. For the second
weekend in a row I managed to tweak my back so that I can't move very well.
Last time it faded out just in time to go to work on Monday, great huh?, but
this time it's taking a lot longer to go away. I can't tell if it's from
overdoing at my yoga class last week or if I've pinched a nerve somehow, it
doesn't hurt in the same place as two weeks ago. So Saturday I tottered
around doing laundry, Sunday we went to a little local festival where I
walked very slowly, and yesterday I did manage to get into the vegetable
garden and get a lot of peppers.
Picking without bending at the waist is tricky but I did okay, although at
one point I stepped into what I thought was a bare patch in the middle of
the plants and it turned out to be a huge hole! There is either a very
active gopher or a small rabbit out there. But I had to do something, first
frost is in about 3 weeks and the peppers are still good. Zucchini is
producing still and my tomatoes have come back to life. No chance they'll
ripen but I'll get plenty of green ones. The cantaloupe died all of a sudden
last week, don't know what that was about - one day there was a huge patch
of leaves and ripening melons and the next day, dead as could be. Maybe the
gopher? I picked what was salvageable and the chickens will eat the rest.
In the ornamental garden, all the salvias are blooming - especially the
germander sage (salvia chamaedryoides, I think). The russian sage (not a
salvia) is really starting to get invasive, I'm going to have to be ruthless
about pulling it this winter, but the bees are having a great time on it. I
have asters, roses, still some blossoms on the crepe myrtle and a couple of
the lilacs got confused and have put out a few blossoms. The gaillardia and
coreopsis would be blooming, if I'd deadheaded at all this year. Mostly what
I have is weeds. Next year I will have my work cut out for me to clear all
that.
Anyway after I got all those peppers I figured I'd do some canning, I can
stand up while doing that. I roasted and peeled them, then pickled them. I
got ten half pints and would have had a lot more except I ran out of jar
lids, so it was roasted peppers with chicken for dinner.

Cyndi