When for new USDA zone map

Here's the latest from Tony; I'll have an earlier one about what and
when when I can find it in the trash.

Subject: Re: [pbs] Climate zones
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:54:24 -0400
From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
To: Pacific Bulb Society <pbs@lists.ibiblio.org>

Lee and Roy:

	Dr. Mark Widrlechner, who compiled the China hardiness map, is the
chairman of the committee.  For years, I have kept files of everyones posts
about an ideal hardiness map.  These ideas have all been presented to the
committee.  There is a lot of discussion about web customization
possibilities.  It is hoped that the first map will be finished by years
end, but projects such as this move slowly.  The next phase with all of the
overlays will be a much more long term project, but one that everyone
agrees is quite important.  The USDA-ARS staff hase been wonderful in
allowing their resouces to go to this project.  Perhaps once the map is
complete, the UN might find this a useful project to complete worldwide
maps.  I'll let everyone know when the maps are completed.

Tony Avent

Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W