RE: Early germination, what to do?

Hum.....

Interesting that they are hardy here. Is this test area in a sheltered area?
Or some microclimate environment? Have you gone over there to see if there
are seedlings around the original plantings currently? Any chance you could
talk to someone from there and inquire if the seedlings do appear yearly now
and do make it the following spring...

Since it appears that most info on this is wrong- from germination to
hardiness- I would keep a detailed journal of your experiences for future
reference.

Why not put some outside, just plunged, some in a protected environment
outdoors (cold frame if you will), and some in the garage and house. Would
be interesting to see the results. Personally, think they will make it right
now outside or they will have to be indoors for the winter. Doubt they can
start growing and get enough hardiness to them to put outdoors for the
winter once the frigid weather begins....the root system will not be
developed enough to take it here in zone 5. But I have been wrong before!

I never seen one of these trees up here, but do remember them in the smoky
mountains...maybe...could be confused.

Donna