Re: Early germination, what to do?

> I don't think you have enough time for them this year
> to ever be hardy enough to be outdoors. You are going
> to have to get them indoors with a lot of light and
> let them grow all winter. I would also mock nature a
> few times down the road and turn a fan on them so they
> get used to being windblown for a stronger stucture.

The problem with overwintering them indoors is that some species will
stop their growth for the remaining season once they realize and the
daylight length isn't right.  So then you have to provide artificial
lighting to rival the real thing all winter long.

My main concern is getting these guys lignified so that they can
tolerate cold to provide some dormancy.

> Where were you planning on overwintering them next
> year at? That is listed as a zone 6 tree. (or am I
> thinking of the wrong one again)

I don't know if you'd be familiar with this tree as it's fairly uncommon
in these parts, although I think it makes a great shade or specimen tree.
It's kind of open, but in a graceful way.  And its fast growth rate makes
it a much better choice than some of the other plants that people select
for instant gratification.

It's definitely hardy here.  These seeds were collected from the USDA
trial plots at the U of I campus from two trees planted in 1981 and 1989.

Chris