hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: Social security overflow, change the law

I was really surprised by the number of people who responded to this.  I
agree with many of you -- there's a perception by the average citizen that
government employees on pensions are living high on the hog.

I admit that some are -- football and basketball coaches at colleges come 
to mind.  But when you look at a secretary who might be making $30K/year,
a $1000/month pension isn't going to cut it.  That's especially true if 
they can't draw on their 15 years of social security either.

And the military people...  Talk about sacrifice!  They sacrifice their
lives (sometimes literally, sometimes figuratively) for this country,
but when they retire they must continue to sacrifice.

Anyhow, I hope that some of you have contacted your representative about
this issue using the info below.  We all appreciate it!  And for those of
you who can't 'double dip' <scoff>, maybe the bill will finally let you
collect the SS benefits that you're due.


> There's currently a bill out there to change this.  If you think that
> this is a bad thing (as I do, who will also be affected by this when I
> retire), visit
>    http://www.dingomt.com/ssoffsetlaw/
> for more information.  A sample letter to send to your representative
> is available at 
>    http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/socialsecurity7
> Or you can call 1-866-327-8670 and ask for your congressperson's office.
> Say "As Congressperson _____________'s constituent, I am calling to ask 
> him/her to sign the discharge petition, House Resolution 987, introduced on
> September 7, to bring the Social Security Fairness Act (H.R. 147) to a
> prompt vote on the House floor."

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement