hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: Social security overflow, change the law

Chris, that 's really bizaare. I collect a small pension from Florida, and I collect all my social security. I never heard anything about anybody but US gov't employees not collecting. The fact that a state university system would be penalized is ridiculous.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 12:44 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Social security overflow, change the law

I don't know how many people here are affected by this, but the current
law states that any government employee who retires with a government
pension can only collect about 1/3 of any social security that they would
normally receive.

For example, my Mom put 15 years into SS and 22 years into SURS (the
State University Retirement System). She can retire from SURS with
a small pension (22 years gives her about 40% of her salary), but the
15 years of social security will pay her a whopping 5% of her salary.
So after 37 years of secretarial/receptionist work she will receive
45% of her current income, less taxes.

Pensioners through private programs can collect from SS and their pension
fund; it's only government employees who are penalized.

To add insult to injury, if your spouse dies and you're on a government
pension, your spouse's social security is also cut. In my Mom's case,
if anything were to happen to my Dad my Mom wouldn't be allowed to
collect ANY widower's social security benefits.

There's currently a bill out there to change this. If you think that
this is a bad thing (as I do, who will also be affected by this when I
retire), visit


for more information. A sample letter to send to your representative
is available at


Or you can call 1-866-327-8670 and ask for your congressperson's office.
Say "As Congressperson _____________'s constituent, I am calling to ask
him/her to sign the discharge petition, House Resolution 987, introduced on
September 7, to bring the Social Security Fairness Act (H.R. 147) to a
prompt vote on the House floor."



To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement