Re: OT - the tree is coming down

I agree, Theresa, Crapemyrtles are far over used here also.  Pam, why  not a
beautiful blooming drought tolerant Texas native tree, some also with
feathery foliage.   Several come to mind:  Desert Willow - blooms  beautiful fuschia
and white trumpet like flowers.  Retama - feathery  foliage, blooms yellow and
red clusters.   One of several Cassia (aka  Senna)....all blooming nicely.
Or one of the Sophoras.......Texas Mountain  Laurel  - evergreen foliage,
blooms purple clusters that have a wonderful  grape aroma,  or the Eve's Necklace,
which is also a Sophora but gets a bit  taller and blooms clusters of dark
pink blooms that look like necklaces hanging  on the tree.  There are several
that would do well without the least bit of  extra water...and survive very well
in any Texas drought, each native to the dry  parts of Texas but do very well
in landscapes.  There is also the Madrone  which people love, I have
absolutely no experience with this, since it doesn't  grow at all this far east.  It
requires a lot of dry weather....which would  do great for you.
Just some thoughts....
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast