Re: tree coming down/ Texas natives

Great site, Bonnie.  Red Bay might be stretching it, although it does  grow
in downtown San Antonio.   The Texas Redbud would be a great  choice also.
Both of these are butterfly host  plants.    Doubt Pam could grow the Fringe
tree  (Chionanthus)....I have problems with mine, even with the supplemental
waterings.....I'm too far west, and I'm much further east than  Pam.

Great choices that I forgot:   Mexican plums are beautiful  landscape trees,
much prefered over the Bradford Pear......blooms nicer,  nicer shape and
interesting bark, like Bonnie mentioned.  The Texas  Persimmon too, is a lovely
evergreen tree, and produces fruit.  It is far  more drought and heat tolerant
than the regular Persimmon (D. virginiana) which  requires chill hours to set
fruit, and doesn't handle the heat and drought as  well.

There are numerous trees Pam....surely a nursery in your area would carry
one of these.  Native trees are not only easier to care for but they are  also
beneficial to the native bird and insect species that use their fruit,
foliage, etc.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:02:19 PM Central Standard Time,