Re: tree coming down.....Desert Willow

Yes, that's right.... there are two....there is the native Desert  Willow
(Chilopsis) and then there is the cross between the Catalpa and the  Chilopsis,
called the Chitalpa.   One is a variety Bubba, which I  always get a kick out
of....typical Texas.  LOL   The Desert  Willow truly doesn' t like wet feet,
but apparently the Chitalpa can handle all  conditions.  I have no experience
with the Chitalpa, but have had a Desert  Willow for some years now  It
struggles a bit during our wetter periods,  but it is on a raised area that gets no
supplimental watering, so it  survives.
Looking back, I probably would have been better off in this area with the
Catalpa or the Chitalpa, but.....at the time, the goal was to go as native as
possible.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 10/7/2006 11:02:19 PM Central Standard Time,