Re: Banana update

Mine have always been as big as, or nearly as big as, the mother plant. The offset on the Goldfinger that is flowering now is actually larger than the mother plant.

On Oct 10, 2006, at 6:07 AM, Donna wrote:

Hum..define 'full size offsets'?

Mine has always been in a pot, granted a large one, but it does have a
3-4 babies. One of them is about 18" tall now, so next summer would that
be considered a full size offset? The other babies are only maybe 6" if
that.

Providing I can keep it alive over the winter, that would be cool if it actually got fruit next summer...LOL!

Donna

----- Original Message ----
From: Theresa W. <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2006 10:22:42 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Banana update

Speaking of offsets- I removed 2 full sized ones off of my musa last
weekend. 2 friends want to give bananas a shot here too. We don't get
fruit, but I love the plants. Just not enough room to keep the offsets.

Theresa

james singer wrote:
This one is about 3 years old--and has a full-size offset, so I guess
it's time to die. Don't think they need anything special to pollinate
them, either in insects or companions. I've heard of a "banana club"
in St. Louis that brings its bananas in every fall, stores them in
their basements, and plants them out again in the spring. I don't know
for sure if they've ever gotten them to fruit, but I think I read that
they had.

This is the third variety we've had fruit--others were dwarf cavendish
and Cuban red. This variety was also developed to be more cold-hardy
than most others, which was not a consideration for us. We chose it
because of its record of reliability and productivity; neither the
dwarf cavendish nor the Cuban red are reliable producers in the
subtropics.