From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Cathy Carpenter
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 4:49 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Fall Activities

Wednesday the Horticulture students at our community college have their
"lab" at my place. Of course, they are studying "annuals and perennials" and
this is not exactly the ideal season for garden tours, especially after the
freezing temperatures a couple days ago.
But will make the best of it, concentrating on plants I have that have
"lived up to their hype" (IMHO) and whatever else I can point out they might
find interesting (they may get a lot of "woody"
perennials!). Also will recommend some books. Students are so much fun -
love their enthusiasm.
Took out the frost killed tomatoes and peppers from the veggie garden
yesterday. The spinach is looking pretty good and the garlic is coming up.
Parsley and celery will be good for another couple months.
Anyone in the "cold zones" successfully overwinter colocasia? Hints?

Cathy, west central IL, z5b