Re: Weather and Garden stuff

Thanks, Bonnie. Don't know why I asked, actually. Never been able to grow garlic here past the greens stage [which make nice salad garnish but not much else]. Can't seem to grow onions, either. Alas.

On Oct 18, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

Here's a quick answer from Seeds of Change. The softneck grows and stores
better in the hot and humid South so I like to use it. I have braided
softneck and hung it in the kitchen where I use it daily. Most of the
time, it lasts until my next crop. The hardneck does not. Also, I have
found that if you harvest the garlic just as the leaves bend to the ground
and before they turn brown, the garlic seems to last longer.

From Seeds of Change:
Hardneck varieties: Large easy-peeling cloves form around a stiff woody
stem. Rich aromatic flavor is not too spicy. Once the garlic begins to grow
the curling tops can be removed for a culinary treat and to increase
production. These are the preferred garlics for more northern climates.
Typically can be stored 3 to 6 months.

Softneck varieties: Otherwise known as braiding garlics, these varieties do
not produce a flower spike. They are more productive and adaptable to
warmer climates than the hardneck type and generally have a spicier flavor.
Softnecks can be stored for a year or more under proper conditions.

[Original Message]
From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 10/17/2006 6:43:01 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Weather and Garden stuff

Bonnie, what's the difference between "hard neck" and "soft neck"
garlic? I'm unfamiliar with the terms [even after reading Stanley
Crawford's "Garlic Testament"].

On Oct 17, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

At last, we picked up a sycamore that we bought last spring and got it
and a river birch (Betula nigra) planted just in time to catch some of
the rain that is now coming our way. The spot for the sycamore was hard
digging but we wanted to get it on the river bank. I love having a nice
soaking rain after planting. Also, got my softneck garlic, Chilean
Silver and Lorz Italian, and one hardneck, Persian Star, in. This year,
I decided to plant them near the raspberry bed since the garlic is
supposed to keep down Japanese Beetles.

While cleaning out the veggie bed for the garlic, I harvested the last
of green beans and included them in a chicken pot pie for supper. I
also
have some raspberries continuing to ripen...not that sweet since the
temperatures have been lower.

Hope those with flooding are seeing the ground now and no one has been
impacted by the tornadoes.

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN
Remember: The River Raisin, The Alamo, The Maine, Pearl Harbor, 9/11

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10