From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 11:39 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Still not gardening

Cyndi, my #2 son and his wife run a rescue operation for retired
racehorses - ones that would be sent to the knackers otherwise.  They
currently have 18, but are looking to cut back.  According to them,
these horses, mostly thoroughbreds, usually need rehabilitation and
retraining, but eventually make superb riding-horses and pets.  (I know,
you aren't supposed to make a pet of a horse, but they definitely do.)
They have placed some of them in what they consider good homes - like
giving away kittens, they won't let one go until they are sure about
what kind of treatment it will receive.  Perhaps there is such a
resource near you.  My son says they are all over the country, usually
near either race courses or agricultural schools (he's not far from
Saratoga in one direction and Cornell in the other).  If so, this could
be a source of a fine horse and do a good deed for the animal, too.
Just a thought.
Auralie

In a message dated 10/23/2006 11:05:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,