Re: gardenchat DIGEST V1 and update

First of all, prayers, for sure, for Melodie.  How truly awful to deal  with
so much at once.  I'm with you Pam, can't imagine what reasoning there  is
behind all that tragedy!!  My heart and prayers go out to the whole  family!!
And Auralie, I so admire your restraint.  That definitely would  be difficult.
I hope all works out well, and that your plants will survive fine until  they
are able to be replanted......sounds like it was (and will be again) a
lovely garden.
Well, we (at least in our neighborhood) dodged another bullet.....had
another 7 inches of rain yesterday.  Another Hurricane, this time Paul,  came across
Mexico, into the Gulf. North Houston didn't fare so well  with tornado
damage, etc. and poor east Texas (Beaumont, Orange) they were  already and still
flooded from the last storms, I can't imagine what it is  like there.   Seems the
rest of the eastern coast is going to feel the  effects today.  Rains ended
far too late, sometime after midnight, so  wasn't able to go out and rescue
fish.  Hope it stays wet enough for them  to survive so I can go out when it
turns light and see.
Baby boom in Houston.....no not because of the rains.  LOL  Had  been on an
adoption list for longest to adopt some native box turtles that  needed homes.
There is a turtle society here that rescues and rehabs  turtles.  We've done
this for Red Eared sliders for the past 10 years or  so....the older ones that
were wild we set free after rehab, the babies we  raised, some were adopted
out and many we kept.  Had always wanted some  boxies....so we finally got a
hatchling pair of three toed.....they were  the size of a dime and quarter.
Took some time to get used to feeding them  creepy crawler stuff.  RES were easy,
they ate mosquito larvae and softened  turtle food.  These babies a bit more
difficult, they have selective  appetites and need both land and water.
Finally got used to feeding live  foods...seems they weren't interested in the food
that didn't wiggle.  It's  working out well though, and they are growing and
happy.  They are  adorable....they know my voice now and come running toward me
with their little  heads up, looking for food.
In the meantime, once you have babies...seems everyone wants them.   LOL
Missed an egg in the dove aviary, so now we have a baby  there.   The kitten from
last year was too young to spay, then she had  an infection was on
antibiotics, etc. and then had an appointment, but they said  she was in heat...so had
to wait till she was out of it.....then found out she  was already pg.   She
had gotten out once for a couple  minutes....apparently that is all it takes.
Well...we have kittens.   Cutest little critters though.    Our dogs,
especially nurturing  Border Chow, Ellie Mae, is just besides herself...doesn't know
where to go first  to take care of what babies.  Kittens are in the guest room,
birds in  another, and turtles in another.  SO she spends all day going from
room to  room, and if a baby makes a noise, she rushes to see if they are okay,
and of  course she comes to get me.  SO it's been fun.  Hm...
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
So much for the update from our house.