Re: New Pic...Phillipine Violet

One of my all time favorite shrubs, Jim.  These are REALLY hardy  and should
do fine in zones colder than zone 9, don't you  think??  They are evergreen
here and bloom during the winter, and  cooler months.  On and off during the
summer, but not during the hottest  temps.  Makes it nice because they bloom when
most other things are not  blooming.  It even bloomed right through the 6
inches of snow we had one  Christmas a couple years ago.
 Which ones do you have in your garden??  I have the white,  purple, and
variegated.  Did have a really interesting species with  different type foliage
and yellow blooms, but I cherished and babied it....so of  course it died.  I
was not happy about it, and haven't found a  replacement.  My purple one has a
smaller leaf, and doesn't reseed like the  larger leaf white bloomer does.  It
is VERY prolific.  Have not had  enough experience with the variegated to form
much opinion.  I had one that  was splashed with white,  the one I have now
is a different sport, it is  variegated white and yellow.  The Barleria
propagate well from  cuttings.
Are they used often in landscaping in Florida?? I would think so.   They are
used a lot here, for good reason.  Definite easy to grow and  blooms nearly
all year round.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

Philippine violet.