Re: Re: New Pic...Phillipine Violet

I put one in this year so I'll let you know how it winters. I love them and they don't seem to seed as prolifically here. Cooler temps?? Mine is only about 3 feet right now, but I can't wait to see it next year. It's got a Lime Zinger elephant ear beside it and the colors look great together.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 7:56 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: New Pic...Phillipine Violet

One of my all time favorite shrubs, Jim. These are REALLY hardy and should
do fine in zones colder than zone 9, don't you think?? They are evergreen
here and bloom during the winter, and cooler months. On and off during the
summer, but not during the hottest temps. Makes it nice because they bloom when
most other things are not blooming. It even bloomed right through the 6
inches of snow we had one Christmas a couple years ago.

Which ones do you have in your garden?? I have the white, purple, and
variegated. Did have a really interesting species with different type foliage
and yellow blooms, but I cherished and babied it....so of course it died. I
was not happy about it, and haven't found a replacement. My purple one has a
smaller leaf, and doesn't reseed like the larger leaf white bloomer does. It
is VERY prolific. Have not had enough experience with the variegated to form
much opinion. I had one that was splashed with white, the one I have now
is a different sport, it is variegated white and yellow. The Barleria
propagate well from cuttings.

Are they used often in landscaping in Florida?? I would think so. They are
used a lot here, for good reason. Definite easy to grow and blooms nearly
all year round.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

Philippine violet.