Re: Gardening?

Hi, Bonnie. I think it's FL-SS-7, but don't know; I've never tried to check it out, although I do post rain amounts whenever we have any.

On Oct 26, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

This has been the most discouraging summer, what with deer, drought, and falling trees. Auralie

Amen, Auralie. When many of our local communities started running out of water and the cities restricted any use, I pretty much stopped except for the occasional mowing and weeding. We haven't had our first frost and many things, such as red bud and fothergilla put out new buds. I'm still harvesting my raspberries...in previous years, the second harvest was the end of August and the first of September. I usually thoroughly enjoy each season as it comes but THIS YEAR I was over summer by the end of July. We finally got some rain this week...not much over an inch but it was something wet. I always have some Mother Hubbard squash that volunteers...this year I noticed that something was eating them...turned out to be a beautiful box turtle. It must have been too dry for most of my fall bulbs as I have seen very few. I'm nursing along some brocolli...picking off the worms and hope to get some garlic planted tomorrow.

Don't know about mice and chipmunks...really think that a cat or snake would do a better job of keeping varmints out of the greenhouse.

Jim...are you reporting at COCORAHS? If so, what is your station? I check out FL from time to time as we have relatives living there.

My relatives made it through the CA fires. Terrible that many of them might have been started deliberately.

Bonnie Holmes
ETN Zone 7

Island Jim
Southwest Florida