RE: I thought

  • Subject: RE: I thought
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 15:58:22 -0700

I swept out the greenhouse over the weekend but my fan thermostat is
broken, we'll have to mail-order a new one. It is a standard switch for
a swamp cooler, but the home stores only carry them in spring and
summer. I don't think I'll have to move my patio plants inside for a
couple weeks yet so we have time. The pelargoniums are happy about the
cooler weather and are blooming again.
It is cloudy and dampish here, the news stations have all trotted out
their "STORM WATCH" banners and are calculating possible rain totals. It
is indeed a serious thing for the foothill communities near the burned
areas, but if we get anything much here I'll be surprised, I wish they
wouldn't go all apocalyptic about it.
I have a few lilacs blooming! Our automatic sprinkler system around the
chicken coop failed in July and we didn't notice until the lilacs really
started wilting. Must have been 3 weeks or more. Husband fixed it but
apparently the lilacs figured that was dormant season and now they have
put forth a small amount of new leaves and some blossoms. So we'll turn
it back off I guess, hot weather is done and we need to force them back
to sleep before it freezes for real.
I dug up most of the tomato plants too, they are growing again but no
fruit, so there's no point in keeping them. Husband's experiment of
planting them in containers buried in the ground worked better than I
expected, but they were somewhat smaller than the same variety I planted
in the ground. None of them bore much fruit, we planted too late in the
year. The root balls were interesting too. Two of the containers were
solid root masses. Three of them were not, and those three had ant
colonies in them. I always have problems with ants in the beans,
peppers, and other plants where they can chew away at the stems or get
inside the stems, like squash. First time I've seen them near tomatoes.
He wants to try his experiment again with a determinate variety,
figuring they are smaller plants and will do better in the containers.