From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:34:09 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bermudagrass  wars

Well, I was just guessing. Actually clay gets a bad rap. It's not
always<br>that bad. When someone says they have no clay - that's really
not that<br>good. If you take a look at a soil pyramid<br>

    http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/seeu/atlantic/images/Soil_pyramid.jpg<br>clay

plays a part in more than half the area. Clay helps to retain
moisture<br>and improves cation exchange. As regards the texture of the
soil:<br>"Texture refers to the composition of the strata according to
the USDA soil<br>pyramid, which classifies soils based on percentages of
sand, clay and silt.<br>A loam has roughly equal amounts of sand, silt
and clay. A clayey silt is<br>predominantly silt with some clay, but may
also contain sand, etc."<br>So if you have a nice loam soil, you do
indeed have some clay. The clay you<br>reaaly don't want is
<Cersgarden@aol.com><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday,
September 02, 2003 5!

message dated 9/2/03 1:15:46 AM, mhobertm@excite.com writes:<br>><br>>
<< Hmmm....I bet clay soil would have done a better job of<br>> holding
recognize the fact our soils were clay.<br>We<br>> lost 9 trees in our
garden, several of those uprooted but the home behind<br>us<br>> had an
enormous ugly cottonwood and it was pulled up by the roots also.<br>>
Ceres<br>><br>>