From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:34:34 -0500
Subject: [CHAT] common mistakes?

We had our final MG plant sale today. 7 of us work in a section of
the<br>garden referred to as Propagation; I prefer to think of it as
Nursery,<br>because most of the plants are purchased tiny and grown on.
In order to<br>expand our offerings we also bring items of our own that
could be considered<br>special and only if we can supply 10+ of them. We
tag these plants as MG<br>Special Selections and get nicer prices for
some people had been asking for Clematis. One of our<br>team said she
had loads of Sweet Autumn starts. We all agreed it is
not<br>particularly "special", but perhaps we could move them because
vines are<br>rarely if ever offered. This woman is a 12 yr MG, very
knowledgable. I<br>said my SAC never puts out seedlings but I have heard
some people say they<br>do, but not lots of them. She was amazed at that
and set to work potting up<br>the starts; said she had 30 quarts. I
thought we'd grow them on, but she<br>brought a dzn directly to the
sale. I couldn't believe it. She had<br>actually potted up
Bindweed.<br><br>What to do? I couldn't confront her, so I asked the
Hort Ed, could he<br>please look at these. He replied that, not only
were they very bad<br>specimens, but indeed bindweed, picked the tray up
and threw it all in the<br>sanitainer. Said he would smooth it over with
her. During the sale while<br>she was making her rounds to make sure all
was running smoothly (her job)<br>she remarked about how quickly her SAC

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com