RE: Check out Yahoo! Photos - Hollis Pond Pictures 2002

This was a group of those with wide interests...I didn't think they went
overboard...in fact, some were a little embarrassed as some of their early
publications actually promoted some of the very plants that are now
problems.  Nobody talked about anything but those on the "severe threat"
list which many of the "box stores" are still selling.  As I mentioned, I
could easily ID some of the problem items and learned the names of those I
was seeing more and more along fence rows and in the understory as I make
my daily 2 mile walk through my neighborhood.  Their approach was
practical...education and selecting a small demonstration area that could
help the public understand.  The representative of our greenways
coordinator had a good spot for that project.  The handouts were great,
including some 3x8 flash cards of the most series threats showing three
colored views of the plants on the front and information on description,
distribution, threat, control, and similar species on the back..

The group consisted of a university professor on horticulture, County
Extension Agent, representative from nursery industry, greenways
coordinator, representative from Knoxville Garden Clubs, science teacher
who used the invasive plant problem in a greenway near his school as a lab,
TVA representative, professor of landscape architecture, Water Resources
Research Center representative, Izaac Walton League representative, TN
Exotic Pest Plant Council representative, and TDEC.  Since TN has so many
rivers and streams, the exotics often impact the stream beds and change the
entire ecology.   Some of the things they were most concerned with are
those that have truly become pests due to our climate, such as kudzu,
privet, Ailanthus altissima (Tree-of-Heaven), Microstegium vimineum
(Japanese grass), Ampelopsis brevipedunculata (Porcelain-berry), Lonicera
japonica (Japanese honeysuckle), Lythrum salicaria (purple looestrife),
Paulownia tomentosa (Princess tree - this was interesting because when the
tree grows in colder climates it produces excellent wood but in the
Southeast it grows too quickly and produces weak, undesirable wood),
Lonicera maackii (Bush honeysuckles), Roisa multiflora (multiflora rose),
Alliaria petiolata (Garlic mustard), and Johnson grass.  Also, Bradford
pear, which is a high cost item to the utility companies and county/city
service because they lose so many branches during storms.

One of the interesting discussions was on the cost of these invasives to
agriculture, utilities, real estate, etc.  There was also a criminal
concern.  In one neighborhood, the invasives had become so thick along a
waterway that thieves had created a tunnel through it and were robbing
homes nearby.  This was in addition to the drug traffic but I think the
robberies were the last straw.  So the Water Resources Research Center with
Americorp went in and took out all the invasives, leaving an upper story of
good trees and put in flowers below.  The waterway is now an attractive
addition to the community and too open for easy crime.

 Bonnie Zone 7 ETN