RE: Check out Yahoo! Photos - Hollis Pond Pictures 2002

Oops, should have read on, Bonnie.

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 2:57 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Check out Yahoo! Photos - Hollis Pond Pictures 2002

This was a group of those with wide interests...I didn't think they went
overboard...in fact, some were a little embarrassed as some of their
early publications actually promoted some of the very plants that are
now problems.  Nobody talked about anything but those on the "severe
threat" list which many of the "box stores" are still selling.  As I
mentioned, I could easily ID some of the problem items and learned the
names of those I was seeing more and more along fence rows and in the
understory as I make my daily 2 mile walk through my neighborhood.
Their approach was practical...education and selecting a small
demonstration area that could help the public understand.  The
representative of our greenways coordinator had a good spot for that
project.  The handouts were great, including some 3x8 flash cards of the
most series threats showing three colored views of the plants on the
front and information on description, distribution, threat, control, and
similar species on the back..

The group consisted of a university professor on horticulture, County
Extension Agent, representative from nursery industry, greenways
coordinator, representative from Knoxville Garden Clubs, science teacher
who used the invasive plant problem in a greenway near his school as a
lab, TVA representative, professor of landscape architecture, Water
Resources Research Center representative, Izaac Walton League
representative, TN Exotic Pest Plant Council representative, and TDEC.
Since TN has so many rivers and streams, the exotics often impact the
stream beds and change the
entire ecology.   Some of the things they were most concerned with are
those that have truly become pests due to our climate, such as kudzu,
privet, Ailanthus altissima (Tree-of-Heaven), Microstegium vimineum
(Japanese grass), Ampelopsis brevipedunculata (Porcelain-berry),
Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle), Lythrum salicaria (purple
looestrife), Paulownia tomentosa (Princess tree - this was interesting
because when the tree grows in colder climates it produces excellent
wood but in the Southeast it grows too quickly and produces weak,
undesirable wood), Lonicera maackii (Bush honeysuckles), Roisa
multiflora (multiflora rose), Alliaria petiolata (Garlic mustard), and
Johnson grass.  Also, Bradford pear, which is a high cost item to the
utility companies and county/city service because they lose so many
branches during storms.

One of the interesting discussions was on the cost of these invasives to
agriculture, utilities, real estate, etc.  There was also a criminal
concern.  In one neighborhood, the invasives had become so thick along a
waterway that thieves had created a tunnel through it and were robbing
homes nearby.  This was in addition to the drug traffic but I think the
robberies were the last straw.  So the Water Resources Research Center
with Americorp went in and took out all the invasives, leaving an upper
story of good trees and put in flowers below.  The waterway is now an
attractive addition to the community and too open for easy crime.

 Bonnie Zone 7 ETN