You can keep them growing all winter in pots if they get enough
light...best way of making sure you still have them in spring.  If
they do not get enough light, however, they really stretch and then
those stems fall over.  They will put out new ones.  Need attention
to watering in a heated house in winter - make sure they don't get
too dry or the leaf edges brown out.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
> Another question- I have just received some large canna roots from
a person
> that can leave them in the ground year round.  Since my climate is
too cold
> for that, what is the best way to store them?  I can put them in
> basement of my husband's office next door.  It is extremely damp in
> basement (there is an exposed sump pump system for flooding), and
I'm not
> sure how cold it is down there.  The furnace is in the basement,
but I don't
> believe that the basement is heated.  The house is heated by hot
air, so
> there is duct work that might keep part of the basement cooler.
There's a