From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:24:39 -0400
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Job's tears

I've not personally done that, Melody, but I do remember other seed pods
as<br>a child that were strung together to fashion jewelry (not to
mention, the<br>kindergarten favorite Pasta, as a safe form of jewelry
for toddlers to<br>wear.) I also remember getting a necklace or two as a
pre-teen warning the<br>seeds that were strung together were highly
toxic and a small amount could<br>be fatal. If memory serves, we either
used a darner or a yarn needle to<br>pierce the seeds and to string them
at the same time. <br><br>Let me know how your venture turns, out
5) Who is running on 3 1/2 hours sleep thanks to a<br>large number of
owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
it in the display gardens, but I'm pretty sure it is
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Wednesday,
At a family reunion this summer I was introduced to a plant called
Job's<br>> tears. Some research reveals this to be Coix lacryma-jobi, a
plant known<br>> since at least 2000 b.c. to be both a source for food
and for decorative<br>> beads. It's an annual grass that self seeds
readily, which produces<br>> these beautiful little shiny grey seed pods
which are easily punctured<br>> and strung like beads. They are often
used to make rosaries and in fact<br>> this is how they are known in my
husband's family. His great great<br>> grandmother grew this plant and
made rosaries out of the seed pods. So I<br>> grabbed a bag full of the
dried seeds and am giving this a try. Anybody<br>> on the list ever
worked with these? Also grabbed a separate bag full of<br>> to plant in
spring so I can have

my own ornamental Job's Tears grass.<br>> Anybody ever grown this? TIA
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>> --Albert
Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal
on the Web!<br>><br>>
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>