Re: Genes greenhouse/ troughs

In a message dated 9/17/04 7:33:25 AM, genebush@otherside.com writes:

<<  How about more web sites with

instructions for the how-to department? >>

Gene, Garden Gate mag also had an article and have infor on their web site:
        www.GardenGateMagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1-noissue.html
I personally did not like their finished product as well as others I have
seen because they had cement beyond the edge of the leaf.  I wanted mine to be
only the exact leaf form and this is the difficult part.  I also prefer a more
complex paint finish using multi colors rather than a wash.  But this is like
hypertufa container, many recipes, many different applications and you just
need to work to your satisfaction.
    Their recipe calls for any sand but I prefer the very fine sand for a
denser, smoother product and I used portland cement which they do not call for.
I also use this in my hypertufa mixture.  When making a lg leaf the risk of
breaking when removing from your mold is higher.  When casting a leaf such as
castor bean where you have deep lobes this is very true.  The recipe I use is 3
parts sand to 1 part portland cement & add a bonding agent which I understand
adds strength to the product.  You can manipulate your sand to provide the
shape you want.  If you are wanting a leaf that can hold water, bird seed, etc
you would want a deeper center. To make a cast to hang you would want a flatter
finish so would need less sand.  Toting the 90# bags of portland cement is the
hardest part for me.  My husband is always willing to help but seems like I
always decide to work with this when he is not around.
    Gene, you probably have cement knowledge which would be very helpful.  My
only experience is with hypertufa so is much a learning experience for me.  I
generally know what I want but not how to get there.
    The instructions on the web site also said they did not use gloves since
they were only making one.  I would not work with cement without gloves as it
is so hard on the skin.  I also use a mask when measuring my dry ingredients &
mixing.
    The leaf on the Lewis/Little site is the ultimate!!  To visit their
garden is my dream.
    Have any of you worked with this process?
        Ceres