Re: Genes greenhouse/ troughs

Thank you for the web site link, Ceres.
The Garden Gate article was very well done, as are all the construction type articles they approach. Well illustrated. However we never work without gloves when doing portland cement here. It will take the hide from your hands, dry them out severely. also never work with portland, vermiculite, perlite or peat without a mask. Peat I ignore and work with on occasion when screening, but when doing much work or mixing with other ingredients, I use a make. you *do Not* want to be breathing that stuff.
We use fiber mesh to strengthen our hypertufa here in troughs... large or small. Goes in. Lends tensile strength and helps prevent cracking.
Sand will give you a smoother finish.... pick up more detail from the leaf, but also be heavy as hey.... hypertufa would be much lighter, just not pick up all the smooth finish. Have to play and think this one thru a bit.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Gene, Garden Gate mag also had an article and have infor on their web site:
www.GardenGateMagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1-noissue.html
I personally did not like their finished product as well as others I have
seen because they had cement beyond the edge of the leaf. I wanted mine to be
only the exact leaf form and this is the difficult part. I also prefer a more
complex paint finish using multi colors rather than a wash. But this is like
hypertufa container, many recipes, many different applications and you just
need to work to your satisfaction.
Their recipe calls for any sand but I prefer the very fine sand for a
denser, smoother product and I used portland cement which they do not call for.
I also use this in my hypertufa mixture. When making a lg leaf the risk of
breaking when removing from your mold is higher. When casting a leaf such as
castor bean where you have deep lobes this is very true. The recipe I use is 3
parts sand to 1 part portland cement & add a bonding agent which I understand
adds strength to the product. You can manipulate your sand to provide the
shape you want. If you are wanting a leaf that can hold water, bird seed, etc
you would want a deeper center. To make a cast to hang you would want a flatter
finish so would need less sand. Toting the 90# bags of portland cement is the
hardest part for me. My husband is always willing to help but seems like I
always decide to work with this when he is not around.
Gene, you probably have cement knowledge which would be very helpful. My
only experience is with hypertufa so is much a learning experience for me. I
generally know what I want but not how to get there.
The instructions on the web site also said they did not use gloves since
they were only making one. I would not work with cement without gloves as it
is so hard on the skin. I also use a mask when measuring my dry ingredients &
mixing.
The leaf on the Lewis/Little site is the ultimate!! To visit their
garden is my dream.
Have any of you worked with this process?
Ceres