Re: Raspberry scented rose

Thanks, Zem (and Kitty).  This sounds very interesting.  I did a bit
of a Google on this one and some rose society list gave the fragrance
as 'old rose', whatever that is.  Does it really smell like
raspberries?  Of course, scent is a really personal item and what
smells like something to one person may not to another...

I'm a bit leery of hybrid teas - most need so much coddling and I
know this client will not be able to do that - plus most hybrid teas
have such lousy form as plants.  'Zephirine Drouhin' sounds more like
it would be decent looking as a plant.  Slow growth (if it bloomed in
the interim) would be fine since I have planned a pergola for this
garden that would not be going in for a while...could plant it near
their fence - they have a shortish iron fence around this area - and
maybe move it if the pergola goes in...hmmm.

Also asked Garden Writers list as they were having a rose thread...2
others were recommended but by people in northern climates (one of
whom is PR for the rose company, so not sure about THAT recco)...have
you-all ever heard of or grown 'Frederic Mistral' or 'Rouge Royale' -
both of whom are said to have a raspberry scent.  The experience of
someone on the Wisconsin-Illinois border may be radically different
from what would happen in z7 as far as how a rose would grow or even

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Corydalis

> From: Zemuly@aol.com
> The first raspberry scented rose that comes to my mind is Zephirine
> and antique staple in any Southern garden.  It is virtually
thornless.  It
> is always described as a climber, and unless Bambi is  pruning mine
for me, it
> grows pretty slowly.  I've had mine for a few years  now, and it is
no more
> than five feet tall.  I have it trained against an  antique gate.
> I also found a hybrid tea from Jackson & Perkins that was described
> having a raspberry scent.  The name of that cultivar is Veterans'
Honor.  I think