Re: Katrina cont > today

You are correct, of course, but it seems as if people expect 100%
guarantees these days that nothing bad will ever happen. Levees are
strengthened to resist a Cat. 4 hurricane, and a Cat.5 occurs, or
something else happens in conjunction with the Cat. 4 that causes a
levee break. (During the 1993 flooding here in Quincy, the levee on
the Missouri side was holding until some idiot who wanted to get back
at his girlfriend broke it.) Another solution would be an enforced,
absolute evacuation (with buses for all, to pre designated and
supplied centers) in the face of such storms. How many people would
obey? Would the authorities have to enforce it at gunpoint? And what
would be public response should said storm suddenly lose power,
change course, etc after such an evacuation? Sigh...

Cathy, west central IL, z5b