Re: I'm back!

On tonight's 10 pm news, the Harris County coroner announced 31 deaths in Harris County: 19 during the evacuation, 10 of those from heat related problems; and 12 after the storm, also from heat, all in addition to the people who died on the bus that exploded. The bus, incidentally, had an expired registration (meaning safety issues), which was waived last week by Gov. Perry in an effort to get as many vehicles as possible involved in the hurricane evacuation, according to TDOT.

So that's 55 dead from Harris County, 43 because of the evacuation. Excluding any who may have died because of the storm to the east of Harris County or in Galveston County to the south.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] I'm back!

Glad to hear everything was OK once you got home. Said a prayer for your
fishies. Unfortunately, your evacuation experience was typical. Been hearing
many other horror stories this week. There had never been such a massive
evacuation in Texas. What they should have done was stagger the exodus in
stages instead of telling everyone to go at once. I'm w/ you - I think I'd
stay put if there is a next time. Did you hear about the bus of evacuees
from a Houston nursing home that caught fire? That was hideous.

OMG that is awful Scottie. Glad you survived the
evacuation. Geesh.... Wonderful that you don't have a
lot of damage at your home or boat!

I think it is pretty scary how these storms have shown
us just how inefficient the escape plans are. Time for
us all to figure out what is best for us so if there
is a next time (hopefully not), at least we would know
what to do!

Donna

--
Pam Evans