Re: SL trip> Asarum

Thanks Gene. All 3 plants had done well in that spot for 3 yrs and then
suddenly this happened. It was a full high shade spot, so bright but no
full sun. I am in the process of shifting things around a bit so I will
take your suggestions, but it's late now so will move them in spring.

It was hotter and drier than previous years and I was busier elswhere
this summer than usual, so I did not give them enough consistant water.
It's not enough to have the lines in place. You have to turn the spigot
on.

The monkshood is amazing this year. Though slightly naked, I've never
seen it this tall. All four stalks have flower buds right now.

Lots of rain again last night. Even if it was a hot, dry-ish summer, at
least the plants are getting lots of moisture to get them ready for
their slumber. They are calling for 37F tonight. Gotta bring the cutting
boxes in.

Kitty

Kitty

-- "Gene Bush" <genebush@otherside.com> wrote:
Hummm....
    Kitty, I would not have the combination together that you have..... I
feel Aconitum would do a bit better with some light, the ginger would do
better with pretty heavy shade.. not the north side of a pine tree, but
pretty decent shade.
    You are describing hot dry weather if monkshood dropped the bottom
leaves. Same with the Cimicifuga Hillside Black Beauty. Our drought and
night time temps probably brought that on. Careful about watering heavily
after a drought on the monkshood... can cause a mold problem that will rot
the crown, kill off the stand.
    you can cut the leaves off, but you probably will not get new growth now
until early spring. If you can... give it a spot with lots of leaf mold dug
in so that it is well drained and a bit on the rich side. Keep mulched
lightly. What is your pH? Can you give the ginger a bit of neutral to acidic
soil.....
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com