Re: Woodland - Krikey!

Yes, but he should also have a wealth of videotapes of his father to appreciate.

On Sep 4, 2006, at 10:03 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

I did see that today - what a great guy. But he went doing the very thing
he loved, I do feel badly for his wife and kids. The little one (3 years
old) will only know him through everyone else's accounts of him I'm
afraid.

On 9/4/06, Zemuly Sanders <zsanders@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

Yes, that was too sad about the Crocodile Hunter. However, I guess he
died
as he lived -- taking chances with wildlife. You are right; he was such a
fun guy.
zem
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 6:56 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Woodland - Krikey!

How does one keep a woodland garden going?
I put in a lovely little raised bed surrounded by rock wall in a shady
area about 20 feet from the base of a maple several years ago. The
Glaucidium was to be the star. It steadily improved for about 3 yrs
then
started going downhill with only 3 small blooms this year. I figured,
since the soil had been a bit too sandy for my liking to begin with,
even
though I added humus then, it probably needed more plus some nutrients.
So I dug it out and I was right, too sandy, but the amount of tree roots
was astounding! They were stealing every bit of good stuff that had
been
in that bed.  I dug and cut, dug and cut, then added lots of
leafmold.  I
tossed in alfalfa, kelp, greensand, sul-po-mag, rock phosphate, stirred
it
all up.  Leveled it out, plunked the Glaucidium back in, but not the
rest
of the plants. And watered. Phew!
But how long will this last?

Oh - the Krikey part - did you hear Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter
from
Down Under died? Stung in the heart by a stingray. What a shame. He
was
such a fun guy.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5