Re: Woodland - Glaucidium

Kitty,
I do not think there is a permanent answer to your dilemma. As long as the maple is alive it will want, need, and take the nutrients it needs. That means masses of roots. Now that you have your woodland gem in place once more, try doing a root prune on the tree roots about ever 2nd or 3rd year around your prize, scratch in a bit of compost. Try companions that will take the competition such a ferns that like somewhat dry shade and ephemerals that go dormant when it gets hot and dry.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

How does one keep a woodland garden going?
I put in a lovely little raised bed surrounded by rock wall in a shady area about 20 feet from the base of a maple several years ago. The Glaucidium was to be the star. It steadily improved for about 3 yrs then started going downhill with only 3 small blooms this year. I figured, since the soil had been a bit too sandy for my liking to begin with, even though I added humus then, it probably needed more plus some nutrients. So I dug it out and I was right, too sandy, but the amount of tree roots was astounding! They were stealing every bit of good stuff that had been in that bed. I dug and cut, dug and cut, then added lots of leafmold. I tossed in alfalfa, kelp, greensand, sul-po-mag, rock phosphate, stirred it all up. Leveled it out, plunked the Glaucidium back in, but not the rest of the plants. And watered. Phew!
But how long will this last?
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5