From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 9:58 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] A washingtonpost.com article from:
islandjim1@verIzon.net

Great article.  Cultural history always has a pull for me.  (For those
interested in mid-western, western life, Pioneer Woman is full of great
tid-bits, such as what you do when your sod house leaks.)  There were times,
especially during the Cold War when I wondered how long I could sustain
myself on my little bit of property.  Each time we have a serious black out
in this area (usually after major ice storm), the people who get along best
are those older folks who were raised on farms before electricity.  I wonder
if the commune popularity during the late 60s and 70s were an attempt to
mirror sustainability.  Ah, you can see that I am in a reflexive mood this
a.m.

of washingtonpost.com

>  Personal Message:
>  For those who grow edibles.
>
>  A Shrinking Homegrown Crop
>
>  By Barbara Damrosch
>
> One of the Web sites I check out regularly, Kitchen Gardeners
> International (
>
>     http://www.kitchengardeners.org
>
> ), is the work of an American named Roger Doiron. His stories are
> always interesting, but his news is not always good. In March, he posted a
U.S.
> Department of Agriculture chart showing the...
>

> To view the entire article, go to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/06/AR2006090600
461.html?referrer=emailarticle

>  Would you like to send this article to a friend? Go to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/emailafriend?contentId=AR2006090600
461&sent=no&referrer=emailarticle

> Want the latest news in your inbox? Check out washingtonpost.com's
> e-mail
newsletters:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=admin/email&referrer=emailarti
cle