Re: Wet, but productive day...And just how much room should Igive a 1 gallon pot of hosta 'Sum and Substance?'

My S&S got to about 5 ft wide but has diminished in recent years also from tree roots. I just dug it out last week. I plan to rejuvenate that bed.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Wet, but productive day...And just how much room should Igive a 1 gallon pot of hosta 'Sum and Substance?'

Bonnie,

Before the tree roots took over, my 'Sum and Substance' was about 7' across and maybe 2 and a half feet tall. This year it was only about 4 and a half feet wide and 2' tall.

The one thing I didn't get into the ground was the 'Sum and Substance.' The
pot tag said to allow for it to get 2' tall and about the same wide. The
one I remember at a local hospital and at the adult day care facility mother
attended were much larger...at least 3'X3'. However, some of the articles
on the web had put it at nearly 4' tall and up to 6' in diameter for a
mature plant. So just how much room should I give this beauty? What has
been your experience with 'Sum and Substance?' I plan to put it on the SE
corner of the walkway that goes around the house, outside a stately old elm.
It will get full morning sun, but then mottled shade there after.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)