To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] peony depth

Hello Kitty,
Treat the species and the hybrids the same on planting depth when it comes to peony. Since soil settles, I usually plant a bit height... slight mound then it gradually becomes just below soil line.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

I just planted 2 species peonies and NOW it occurs to me to ask if the planting depth of the eyes for species peonies is the same as for garden cultivars. I placed the eyes about an inch below the surface.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5