Re: Today in the garden

I think about Marge all the time -- especially when I look at those beautiful Brugmansias I got from her. I recall her saying she had to get her house ready to sell prior to moving. I hope things are going well for her.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Today in the garden

Good to hear from you Chris. Been wondering about Marge myself. Heard from
Eva off list last week, her grandmother died the week before, so she's been
a little preoccupied.
Didn't Marge say she was moving?

On 9/30/06, Chris <chrispn@optonline.net> wrote:

Good morning all!

I have to admit that I have barely set foot in my garden in the last month
other than to clip a dahlia bloom or water a drooping container on my
The school year has begun and daylily publication deadlines have kept me
busy. My chorale rehearsals have occupied more of my time, as well as
meetings. It was so nice in the summer to have a little breathing room.
had forgotten that this was a three day weekend for me. What a nice
surprise! The sun is shinning and I plan to bring in some of the annuals
today before frost hits. There are quite a few coleus varieties in the
ground that Id like to pot up or take cuttings from. Other fancy annuals
will have to be evaluated as to whether I want to bring them in, take
cuttings or let nature take its course. I had purchased a few choice
tropicals for under $2 at one of my favorite nurseries. One plant is a red
mandevilla that is usually hard to find and expensive. I would really
to keep it growing indoors this winter. One of the problems I have when
growing things indoors is pests, usually whiteflies and scale. I hate to
a systemic on the plants, but I am considering using one this year. I
usually use yellow sticky cards, soap and water and Safer products with
limited success.

Can anyone share their experience with me on this dilemma? I would
appreciate your help!

Im sorry that I havent kept up everyones postings, but Im still
posts when I get a chance. I didnt see any from Chris L.recently. Marge
Eva are you still out there? Maybe some of my fellow lurkers could chime
to let us know that they are still with us.

Chris Petersen

Northport, Long Island, New York

Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)

Pam Evans