From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Saturday,
September 22, 2007 11:57:15 PM
Subject: [CHAT] disgusted

You know, I welcome
fall and winter; it always yields to a feeling of
renewal in spring.  And
man, I could use some renewal.
I'm cutting the MG Mursery back by 1/2 as many
plants because it's too much
work for just a few people.  We had 15 people on
the nursery crew this year
for 1500 plants and yet most would do little more
than water the plants for
2 weeks during the season, and even then would let
the plants collapse from
lack of water.  They refuse to pull even a single
weed. I repeatedly asked
for help, scheduled work sessions, asked for their
opinions and ideas and
got nowhere.  I scheduled a meeting for last Mon w/
2wks notice and only 4
showed up.  Today was our workday in the Display
Gardens and also in the
Nursery and there was just me.  Some of the Nursery
people were there but
they chose to work on the Grounds instead.

I'm not a
bad person.  I don't yell.  I'm friendly and I try to encourage.
When I can't
get them to do the work, I just end up doing it myself.  But
this has been a
very difficult, time-consuming, and stressful season for me
both at work and
at home, so a lot just hasn't gotten done at the nursery.
We lost Art our
"Soil Technician" who mixed the best stuff for us, always
had 15-30 pails
ready when needed.  He got toally fed up with the other MGs
(outside the
nursery) and quit the program.  One woman died.  Another had
hip replacement
surgery.  But that still leaves 11.  A few are good workers
but decided they
won't return next year because it takes too much time.
(they average about
1-2 hours a week in the nursery)  Several others would
rather work in other
areas of the garens.  And 5 of them just never seem to
show up; they're
always busy with something more important.

So I've asked the Hort Ed for 6 or
7 new people for next year.  He said
"I'll try to remember to put it on the
list."  I told him if he doesn't
remember, he'll have to close the nursery.
I'll give it a try with a new
crew, but if it doesn't pan out, I'm outa
there....Until, I suppose, the
next April.  when renewal gets the better of
me and I start feeling
optimistic again.

neIN, Zone 5
message text