Re: Requiem for a lemon tree

The gospel I use for citrus is Lance Walheim's "Citrus." This is essentially a book for California and Arizona although it claims to also cover "Texas and the Gulf Coast of Florida." It says this about hardiness of the Meyer/Improved Meyer: "It is hardier than true lemons and can withstand temperatures into the low 20sF."

Of course, true lemons are not very cold hardy at all--they're damaged at 30F.

On Sep 24, 2007, at 5:49 PM, Theresa W wrote:

Ahh- Jim would know better than I about Meyer lemon hardiness. We have gotten into the 20s here- especially last winter. Mine is planted right next to the house though, so likely protects is some and I threw a blanket over it a couple of times. Actually, my lemon has done better this summer than the last couple of years, so I guess the cold didn't phase it much.
So Jim- how hardy is the Meyer???

Theresa

on Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
Well, it gets into the low twenties most winters at my house. I'm
thinking it would freeze.
Cyndi
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Theresa W
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 2:16 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Requiem for a lemon tree
Cyndi- Why do have your lemon in a pot?  Why not just plant one?  I
couldn't keep one alive in a pot either- but in the ground it's pretty
easy.
Theresa
Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
I killed my lemon tree. This was #3 in my quest to have my own lemons
and I've failed again. I'm not entirely certain what happened to it
this
time. I had decided not to move its pot out into the veggie garden
area
because last year squirrels bit off the lemons. So I moved it into the front yard, where I have a little hose attached to the sprinklers that could water it directly and I could just leave it. Well we were pretty
busy this summer, the front garden is totally overgrown, and because
it
wasn't directly in my path every day I only took a look at it now and
again. It wasn't exactly thriving but I was so busy I kept telling
myself I would move it in a few days, didn't have time right now. Last
time I saw it was really waterlogged so I moved the little irrigation
hose away from it figuring the regular sprinklers would keep it moist
enough but let it dry out some. Saturday I looked and it's dead. So I
don't know if it was too much water, or whether I moved the hose just
before that awful heat wave we had around Labor Day and it didn't get
any water at all.
I'm not sure if I'll try it again. I keep remembering the Meyer lemons
from the dwarf tree my mom had and how good they were. But it's been
YEARS and I haven't managed one lemon, not one. Hmmm.

Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W