Theresa

james singer wrote:
Remember when we used to hang those things on a cotton rope in the backyard. Called a clothesline, I think. Didn't need those perfumey pieces of pseudopaper to make it smell nice, either.

On Sep 13, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Kitty wrote:

That's (fire) what I was afraid of too Theresa, but when he showed me a 6 ft stretch of the duct that he'd removed, it was so sodden, a flame could never have sparked from it. However, the mold and crap in it might have caused other problems. I think the fire hazard might be more likely when it vents up rather than down.

It costs about $50 here to have it cleaned out if you do it yearly. If you let it go too long, they charge more.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] instruction request- dryers and leaf blowers

PS-
After having a small lint fire in my dryer this past spring, I looked in
the phone book and indeed there are companies that will come out can
totally clear the ductwork.  It cost about $100 for mine (mine is long
as it vents through the roof and of course I live in CA- so everything
costs more here!). Either way, it was well worth it not to accidentally
burn my house down.
Theresa

Kitty wrote:
Donna,
It might depend on how (what direction) your dryer vents and how long
the ductwork is.  Mine is in center of house, 15 ft of ductwork goes
down about 18 inches to crawl space and then out.  I just pulled the
dryer away from the wall, disconnected the dryer from the ductwork,
and stuck the nozzle in the duct and turned it on.

If your vent goes up to the roof, you're fighting gravity.

Understand that, if ductwork is thickly clogged, it doesn't work.
Have one of you on the outside to feel whether air is coming through.
I think that if you've been drying a load for nearly 5 hrs, you are
thoroughly clogged. My ductwork was totally packed with soggy lint,
but still a load of laundry would dry in less than 3 hours, though it
I wouldn't put a huge load in at any time.

It might be time to go under the house (or wherever) to have a look at
the ductwork.  Owen said mine had split and was leaking puddles of
water into the crawl space.  Your house is much newer than mine, but
my problem only occurred in the last 5 or so years because (IMO) of
the new style washing machine.

Let us know what you find.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5