garden pest ID

OK, what ARE these pesky critters? I found them earlier this year sucking the life out of some small plants and killed them off. but now they have literally covered every inch of a larch Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine. I tried to spray, but I now I'll never get them all. Should I just cut Loraine down completely to head off the possibility that these bugs will lay eggs if left to long on the plant?

neIN, Zone 5