To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 12:04 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Ike-check

Dear friends,

I've been too swamped with work and other things to write much.  Birthday
wishes to all. Get well wishes to Pam.

My sister in Louisville, Kentucky says that 75% of her area is without
power. The schools are closed as well as the grocery stores and industry.
There are trees down everywhere, and they got only WIND, no rain!  Gene
lives close to her.  Gene, are you OK?

I've got a touch of pneumonia, so I'm not at work.  I have a different
position this year. I will be running the library program. We have a brand
new library and the classes come down to hear stories and do other
activities.  I'll have about 30 groups per week.  These are all
preschoolers, most are special needs, but we have a few nursery classes with
typical kids as well. I'm enjoying it so far, but I've had to learn the
library program, Mandarin M3, pretty much on my own. I've been staying at
work until 5:00 and then working from home in the evenings.

The end of the summer was exhausting as I had to empty 36 years of my stuff from my old classroom. I'm not done and I have file boxes lining my den that
need purging. I left a lot for the new teacher as I don't have room or
desire to bring home all that I've purchased!

Then, I worked on a major landscaping project at the "office house" next
door. More about that later!

Take care,

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York