From: Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT
<cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
Subject: [CHAT] OT: the singing road
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Friday, September 19, 2008, 3:05 PM

I read about this weird thing in our local paper. It seems that Honda
came out to film a commercial, and what they did was modify the road so
that as you drive on it the vibration on your tires plays a song.
Bizarre huh?  The local paper picked up the story after a few people
called.  I went to check it out last night. I was expecting some low
kind of rumbly noise I guess, but it really does play a song, although
of course it's not like listening to your stereo.  It takes maybe 10-15
seconds at 50mph and plays the recognizable bit from the William Tell
Overture (aka The Lone Ranger theme).
Anyway although it is quite a ways from any houses the sound travels
pretty far at night and the people living closest are complaining, so
they're going to pave it over. You can hear it at this link.
http://www.necn.com/Boston/Arts-Entertainment/Final-curtain-for-CAs-sing
ing-highway/1221657554.html

Cyndi