need a fruit tree idea

Ok- I was going to try to plant another apple tree, but was advised against this by master gardener friend, as we have been getting warmer and warmer and apples were marginal here in the first place. So- now I'm on the hunt for a new fruit tree. Something that stays relatively small, has yummy fruit, and wants to be in my overly warm climate. Kind of wondering is something semitropical might make it here?? Ideas?? Jim- any input? Maybe a loquat? Would an avacado grow here (or do they just get huge?)

Theresa