Re: GWA Symposium/ was gas shortage

Yeah, it does sound like fun. That baby elephant is something else. What a cutie.

On Sep 27, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Pam Evans wrote:

Sounds wonderful. Much as I hate crowds, that gathering sounds like it was
worth it.  Thanks 4 the info!

Pam and all,

It was the best conference I've been to, despite the huge crowds. It was disappointing as usual that they didn't leave enough time to see all of the
gardens (I missed this one -
http://www.gardenfreshliving.com/2008/09/gwa-garden-tour.html ) and that time was so short in some others, but I understand the logistics, having organized a couple of state MG conferences, and having been on the committee for the Regional, which also had about 600 attendees. You can't have too many bodies in a garden at one time, so you have to have more
gardens to see. That limits the time one can spend in each.

I would have liked to have spent more time in almost all of them, but
especially the Chinese Garden http:// www.portlandchinesegarden.org/ and
the Japanese Garden

We had our annual awards banquet at the zoo, and got to see the baby
elephant. http://www.oregonzoo.org/
Unfortunately, the docents weren't there to show us the use of native
plants for non-native animals. It was fun anyway. They have quite a
collection of large cats and it was fun to watch them acting like huge versions of housecats. The swatting, stalking and playing behavior was strikingly similar - and so was the napping - especially of the tigers. All three of my big guys are sprawled around me as I write. The little one is in his crate - I hope to be able to introduce him to the others this weekend.

Portland is a beautiful garden city. Besides being famous for its conifers and Rhodies, it's also called the City of Roses, and it certainly is that. Roses were blooming in almost every garden, and the ARS trial garden was spectacular. As we rode from garden to garden on the buses, we could peer down (or sometimes up to roof and balcony gardens) and see what was growing. All was amazingly lush, even though their 90+ heat had just broken earlier
in the week.

Many exhibitors were offering CDs as their only press kits, a trend that I heartily applaud. I hate sorting through piles of paper, much less carrying it home. The All America Rose Selections went one better - they put the new selections and the information about them on a thumb drive (a red one, of

Best product ad was for Sluggo. They didn't give a sample, but gave us a boxed bottle of one of the very popular (and expensive! about $10 at the hotel) local microbrews. I brought it home for Bill. The ad with it said,
"Who devours your salad and swigs your beer? "