aw geez now what

  • Subject: aw geez now what
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:03:35 -0500

I had to remove my Yoshino Cherry at the back of my house, west side, as it was dying. It's been a slow steady death from rot. I planted it too deeply because the B&B mechanical process had pushed the soil up the trunk creating an artificial soil line, which in my novitiate, I took to be the actual soil line.

The tree was one thing. I accepted that; I took it down. But it had shaded my Jap Maple Orangeola, which I now worry about losing. I also have to remove the Lamium groundcover which is scorching from direct sun. I can deal with all this.

The big problem though, at the moment is that I had planted a giant blue hosta, Hosta 'Krossa Regal' in front of the tree. It has always been a stunning specimen with wrist-size starts shooting up in spring. It is frying in the sun. I knew I had to move it, ok but, I can't. It's been completely overgrown underground by the cherry's tree roots. Big suckers. Can't get a shovel into the ground.

What do I do now?

neIN, Zone 5