Re: Jim-Plumeria

  • Subject: Re: Jim-Plumeria
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:59:04 -0700

I used to prune mine [I had three or four] whenever their growth began to annoy me. Yes, they can get quite unruly as they get older and larger. I doubt it will send the plant into dormancy. The first thing I would do with the cuttings is stop the bleeding--they bleed like crazy. You can use almost any fine material, like peat moss, for that; I used RooTone because it has a fungicide in it. Then, like a cactus cutting, I'd just let them rest in the shade for a week or so until the cut heals. Then I'd pot them up. They'll root pretty quickly. You can also store them in a cool place--one of the vegetable drawers in the fridge or in a bucket of sawdust in the garage--for a long time; just keep them dry so they don't rot. The ones that you see for sale at flower shows have been dipped in some kind of water-soluble wax, probably the same stuff they treat supermarket apples with. They seem to last forever.